On Mon, 28 May 2001, Robert Sinland wrote:

>   Was that available on the Indigo as well?

Indeed it is.

> Doesn't seem to be loaded on mine in any case, and copies of the
> Irix OS are just plain out of sight. (unless you don't mind paying more
> for the OS then what your computer cost)

If you're talking about eBay prices, you ought to ask SGI what they charge
for a copy, without educational or other discounts.  It's a couple of
grand, I believe.

> On another semi-related topic, are there any books at  _all_  on the
> SGI line of computers in general, or the idigo in particular?
> Did some searching on Amazon and came up with nada...

SGI has a pretty good set of online things, if you can figure out how to
wade through their stuff.  Here are a few more links to check, if you
haven't already:

http://techpubs.sgi.com/
http://www.reputable.com/indytech.html	**probably a good place to start
http://freeware.sgi.com/		MIPS versions of many of the Linux
					untils you are used to.

Note that there ain't no free SGI compiler, so you want to go get gcc from
the freeware site.

I've got a few more, like www.mashek.com (up in Ham Lake), and there are
some others, but I think you can start unraveling the thread from the
reputable site.

There aren't a lot of third party books on it, though, because SGI never
has been anything but a niche manufacturer.  This means that the books are
harder / weirder to find, but that what you do find is (usually) a little
more authoritative, and there's less duplication of material.

Also, amazon's a bad choice -- try www.powells.com, since they have a
specialty of dealing with used techincal books.

HTH,
Phil M

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous