Hello, all.  I'm a Linux user w/ a really annoying
problem with my ISP.

pro-ns is my ISP.  I can use a Minicom script to dial
up and type in my username and password.  After this,
I've been manually Ctrl-A Q'ing out and startin pppd.

This is getting really old.

Chat doesn't work.  Whenever I log on, I can connect
but I can't get chat to find a login prompt.
Apparently, PAP kicks in if I'm using chat.  So I
modified the chat script to connect only and let pppd
take over.  Then pppd interacts w/ the other server
PAP-style and I have password / authentication
problems.  Below is a log of pppd's output, along with
the contents of various files.  THe thing that
confuses me is that I've got the password correct and
that I can log in properly using Minicom and pppd.

Here's what happens:

Serial connection established.
Using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0 <--> /dev/modem
sent [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <pcomp>
<accomp>]
rcvd [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <asyncmap 0x0> <pcomp>
<accomp>]
rcvd [LCP ConfReq id=0x1 <mru 1500> <asyncmap 0x0>
sent [LCP ConfAck id=0x1 <mru 1500> <asyncmap 0x0>
sent [LCP EchoReq id=0x0 magic=0x0]
sent [PAP AuthReq id=0x1 user="bubu"
password=<hidden>]
rcvd [LCP EchoRep id=0x0 magic=0x0]
rcvd [PAP AuthNak id=0x1 "!Error 20 Incorrect account
or user ID.\r\n" 00 00]
Remote message: !Error 20 Incorrect account or user
ID.^M^J
PAP authentication failed
sent [LCP TermReq id=0x2 "Failed to authenticate
ourselves to peer"]
rcvd [LCP TermAck id=0x2 "Failed to authenticate
ourselves to peer"]
Connection terminated.

Here's what I run to connect:

/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/modem 115200 call pro-ns

Here's what's in /etc/ppp/peers/pro-ns:

debug
connect 'chat -Evs -f /etc/ppp/pro-ns.chat -T
612-252-2003'
kdebug 7
name bubu
noauth
nodetach
nomagic

Here's what's in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets (slightly
modified):

bubu * passwd *

I didn't actually type "passwd"...  It's my actual
password, no punctuation or anything.  I've also tried
that w/ no 4th entry (bubu * passwd) with the same
result.

And, finally, here's /etc/ppp/options:

crtscts
defaultroute
hide-password
ktune
lcp-echo-failure 4
lcp-echo-interval 30
lock
modem
usepeerdns

There's an /etc/ppp/options.dist, but no other
options* files.

What the devil is going on?  This problem has annoyed
me for a long, long time.  :(  Thanks in advance for
your help.