Best Buy has them for $120 with a $20 mail in rebate.  I just bought one,
and it works pretty good, especially for $100.  However, when burning CD's,
the CPU sat at 100%.  I finally figured out that DMA wasn't enabled for the
drive.  Hdparm -d1 /dev/hdd would give a permission denied error.  I had to
recompile my kernel with Intel PIIXn IDE chipset tuning enabled and reboot
for it to let me enable DMA on my drives.   I also did hdparm -c1 to enable
32 bit I/O on the drives.  Cpu sits at a happy 1-2% now when burning.  And
it roughly tripled performance on my IBM 30GB deskstar.

I did read that if you have a Via chipset, that you should not enable DMA
because of some problems, like major filesystem corruption.  Maybe they
fixed this in 2.4.4, I'm running 2.4.3 though.

Jay