Yaron wrote:

>   Hi,
>
> On Fri, 25 May 2001, Bob Tanner wrote:
>
> > I'm a champion of java and Enhydra,
>
> The thing with Java is, well, it works badly. Even on THAT os, it's still
> slower than dirt, and still sometimes Java applets don't work at all.
> Heck, even the Java stuff Sun shoves down peoples' throat doesn't always
> work perfectly.
>
> And Java under Linux is HORRIBLE. I've still not got it going decently in
> Mozilla, and Netscape sure doesn't need any help crashing...
>
> I'd pretty much stay away from Java for anything that's going to be viewed
> by a lot of Linux/UNIX people.

On the subject of Java-based applets, I would agree.  However, I would
disagree on the subject of Java itself.  Java ServerPages (JSP) offers a
credible alternative to Web scripting.  There is a lot of work being
done on the creation of a JSP/Servlet framework, ie. Struts (see the
jakarta.apache.org site).

--
Perry Hoekstra
E-Commerce Architect