my machine right here has
1st primary /boot for linux boot info (remember lilo
bugs?)
2nd primary partition with Win98boot
3rd primary is extended containing 3 logicals (swap,
home and /)

i am not sure exactly what role LILO plays here but
here is my story and ill stick to it untill im proven
wrong...

windows needs to be _A_ primary partition in order to
boot up, it also needs to be the only primary
partition that is visible (not hidden) let me explain:

the DOS boot loader (which windows uses as well) is
stored on the MBR (not on the first primary partition,
remember fdisk /mbr) DOS loader is so stupid that it
can only select one partion to load and since it can
only see FAT partitions it will just chose the first
partition it can _see_ but if there is more than one
primary FAT partition it gets confused and locks up

wow, that is quite a rant dont you think?

 -munir

=====