DOS and windows will boot if there are more than one primary partitions of any type. Its just that dos/windows wants to be on the first primary
partition. NT and 2000 will boot fine from other paritions.

There can be a maximum of 4 partitions on a hard drive. These 4 or made up of primary and extended partitions. Typically 4 primary or 3 primary and
1 extended. That extended partition can have infinite (i am sure there is a max but i dont know it) logical partitions. You can not boot from an
extended/logical partition.

I believe as long as you have one parition that contains boot information for the other OS's you can get more than just 3 or 4 OS's on a box.
Though I have never even attempted a 5-Boot system. I did have Win98, Win2000(unhidden FAT on a logical partition), BeOS 5 and Debian (Swap drive
on logical partition) on one machine, but that got old quick. Now its just Win2000 and Debian.

Correct me if I am wrong please.