I am strongly considering buying a Soyo K7VTA Pro mobo: it's cheap,
it's good quality, has an ISA slot, and aside from the glitch of having
the power cables run a little too close to the processor, everything I
want. It also has on-board audio (AC '97). My question is how good (or
bad) is the sound quality? Would you recommend buying a seperate sound
card?
   Ok, I admit, this is a very subjective question. I like playing MP3s
and audio CDs, but I'm not a audiophile who demands accoustical
perfection.
   BTW, the DukeOfUrl has its tenth Linux buyer's guide out
(http://www.thedukeofurl.org/reviews/misc/linuxguide10/). Amazing how
fast prices are falling on them there Athlons, isn't it? :)
   :Peter