On Wed, May 23, 2001 at 02:13:38PM -0500, Andy Zbikowski (Zibby) wrote:

> On the other hand, I got tired of reinstalling Windows when it failed. So,
> I sat myself down one night and reinstalled it, got all the current
> patches and drivers installed, rebooted to linux, and burned the fresh
> windows install to a cd-rom. Next time windows crashes I just format the
> windows drive and cp -R /mnt/cdrom/* /mnt/win and Windows is good to go
> again.

Won't work. You have to have at least a couple of files (think of io.sys and
msdos.sys) at the beginning of the drive.

Use dd to create a bit-idetical copy.

My recipe is as follows:
	- make a 1G partition for windows (C:)
	- install windows/drivers/utilities/whatever
	- boot linux
	- mount the c partition, cd into it
	- dd if=/dev/zero of=zerofile bs=32M
	- rm zerofile
	- [the last two steps filled with zero all unused blocks]
	- umount the c partition
	- dd if=/dev/whaterver bs=32M | gzip > win.YYYYMMDD.img.gz
	- burn it on a cd

> For my home system, that backup system is enough for me.

yep. with /home and /etc backed up, no problems.

florin

--

"you have moved your mouse, please reboot to make this change take effect"