> What do you all think of using tape vs hard drives for backup?

Tape is best if you need to instantly restore your system from complete
and total failure.

At home, I just worry about /home and some select files in /etc/.  Every
now and then I fill a MO disk with my home directory and call it good.

Should my Linux system fail, I will redo it with ReiserFS (or maybe XFS,
depending on how well XFS tracks kernel development.) and LVM, and look
on it as an oppertunity for cruft cleaning. Outside of /home and /etc/
there isn't anything I can't install again.

On the other hand, I got tired of reinstalling Windows when it failed. So,
I sat myself down one night and reinstalled it, got all the current
patches and drivers installed, rebooted to linux, and burned the fresh
windows install to a cd-rom. Next time windows crashes I just format the
windows drive and cp -R /mnt/cdrom/* /mnt/win and Windows is good to go
again.

For my home system, that backup system is enough for me.

| Andrew S. Zbikowski       | Home: 763.591.0977 |
| http://www.ringworld.org  | Work: 763.428.9119 |
| http://www.itouthouse.com | PCS:  612.306.6055 |
|   His power apparently lies in his ability to  |
|           choose incompetent enemies.          |
|    - Crow T. Robot, MST3K, "Prince of Space"   |