Don't use xinetd to start it -- do it through standalone mode and compile it
with PAM and libwrap support.  I assume you can see what you should change
below :)  Make sure permissions are correct on your incoming/ directory.
----
ServerName                      "ProFTPD Veldy.net Installation"
ServerType                      standalone
DefaultServer                   on

Port                            21
Umask                           022

MaxInstances                    10

User                            nobody
Group                           nogroup

<Directory /*>
  AllowOverwrite                on
</Directory>

<Anonymous ~ftp>
  User                           ftp
  Group                          ftp
  UserAlias                     anonymous ftp
  MaxClients                    10
  RequireValidShell             off
  DisplayLogin                  welcome.msg
  DisplayFirstChdir             .message
  <Limit WRITE>
   DenyAll
  </Limit>