"Bob McCloud" <mccloud at wiredhot.net> writes:

> Both the examples at apache.org and deja say the samething,
> ServerName should start with www. In Scotts that is omitted.

ServerName should specify the exact DNS name that requests are going
to be made to; the leading "www" is just a reasonably common
convention for naming your web servers.  (Notice it's not always
present in the bits of my configuration file posted a bit upthread
from here; those sites work fine).

> In one post there was an explination that if Apache cant find
> www.ytilaer.com it will serve up the first host name in the
> VirtualHost list, hence www.fireopal.org is sent in responce to both
> requests. Im just guessing here, but I really dont think Apache is
> finding www.fireopal.org either, I think it is just looking at the
> path in the first VirtualHost listing and serving up that page.
>
> Like I said, I would test this myself, but I dont have two domains to
> work with. But I think its worth a shot.

If ServerName is ytilaer.org, and you request http://ytilaer.org/, you
should get index.html from the directory in the corresponding
VirtualHost section.  There is nothing magical about "www"; it's
simply a component of the name.
--
David Dyer-Bennet      /      Welcome to the future!      /      dd-b at dd-b.net
SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/          Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon/