On 2 May 2001, at 16:54, Chris Bidler wrote:

> mjn wrote:
>
> > Yea.  Murphy's kicks in when you are downloading a Linux image and the
> > phone rings and your DSL modem mysteriously drops its connection.  Every
> > time the phone rings...
> >
> > Anyone else having this problem?  I sure am..
>
> You *do* have the little filter-dongles on all your phones, right?

I have the same problem, and yes I've got dongles on all the
phones. Except the one 900 MHz cordless that is plugged in to the
router (the 675).  I am assuming that it is internally filtered. I also
notice that static-echo thing all the time, and being on the phone
seems to have a detrimental effect on DSL connectivity.

Also, it seems to go down with regularity about 25% of every
weekend. Not 25% of weekends, 25% of EVERY weekend. That's
great when you've got your friends over for some net party action
and you can't use the internet for a good 4 hours. We used to call
tech support every time there was a problem, but we got pretty
tired of "Is it plugged in? Try doing 'nvram erase'".

 We had one tech that walked us through completely hosing our
DSL setup. Good thing WE knew how to fix it. It was kinda funny
to tell him exactly how he'd screwed everything up though. I think
our techtalk lost HIM after about 2 minutes.
Benjamin Exley
The Minnesota Daily
Information Systems Manager
(612)627-4070 x3190