> > There is certainly a much smaller number than 26!.  The order of an element
> > in the symmetric group is the LCM of its cycle lengths.  For QWERTY->DVORAK
> > I get the cycle decomposition of
> >
> > (Q ' - [ / Z ; S O R P L N B X) (W ,) (E . V K T Y F U G I C J H D) (A) (M)
>
> That's what I was curious about.  Did you sit down and map it?  I guess
> there was nothing on T.V.

Don't know what I might have missed on TV...Buffy's mom die again?

I found a chart on the web showing QWERTY and Dvorak side by side, then it
just took a minute to write down the permutation as cycles--that's hardly a
computation, just a different way of writing it down.  A concrete example
seemed better than a theorem.  My real point was just that permutations
have small orders relative to the order of the group and you can compute
them quite easily.

-- Al