"Austad, Jay" <austad at marketwatch.com> wrote:

> If you're interested in learning, I found the best way is to save your
> current keymap to a file using:
> xmodmap -pke > keyboard.default
>
> Then grab http://www.signal15.com/keyboard.dvorak and type "xmodmap
> keyboard.dvorak".  Then print out http://www.signal15.com/dvorak.gif and
> tape it to the top of your monitor.  Then just start chatting on IRC or
> ICQ, or type up some emails.  Only look at the map on your monitor if
> you forget where a key is.  After about two hours or so of solid typing,
> you should be able to type without even looking at the map.

I just thought I should note that most Linux distros I've played with
recently have a Dvorak layout already on the system.  In X, run `setxkbmap
dvorak' to go to Dvorak and `setxkbmap us' to go back to normal (Edit
/etc/X11/XF86Config for a more permanent change, obviously..)

In console, (on RedHat, not sure about other distros) run kbdconfig and
just select Dvorak.

Windows 9x/Me also usually have Dvorak layouts installed.  Just go to the
keyboard control panel.  I think I tried looking in W2K once, and couldn't
find it, but I might have been looking in the wrong places.

I have no idea about Mac, but sim said that it's already there too..

Of course, the most annoying thing is when you accidentally apply a Dvorak
layout twice and get the whole keyboard _really_ screwed up ;-)

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   If a jogger runs at the
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   speed of sound, can he