On Wed, 28 Mar 2001, Andy Zbikowski wrote:

> You check /etc/inittab and enabled a getty on a serial line right? :)
> T0:23:respawn:/sbin/getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt220
> If you're having problems, stay with lower rates until you get it working.
> Once it's working, kick the rate up until it stops.
>
> It's been a long while since I played with serial consoles on Linux so
> beyond what I just typed I don't remember much. I don't remember doing
> anything beyond enabling a getty and configuring the terminal though...

OK, it's gotten better, but also worse. <g>

Fixed a funny with the null modem cable (sheesh).  Now I can do
things on the Linux box and make things appear on the screen of the
vt220, but they aren't the right things and there aren't enough of
them.  cp <foo> /dev/ttyS0 makes some char ('}' many times) appear, but
about one for every 6 in the source.

Getty starts up, doesn't barf by respawning, but I never get a clean
/etc/issue either.  Still the garbage chars.  And few of them.  Been
through the getty man, says -L or -w might matter, but other than that it
should automagically do things.

Still futzing with the setup in the hardware.  Anyone know anything I
don't?  getty says little about flow control, I've tried both ways.  Any
further assistance would be appreciated -- I feel so dumb!<g>

Cheers
Phil M

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous