The easiest way I know of to eliminate contention is to go with a switched
network.
Then all your hosts can babble on full duplex lines and there is no
contention, back pressure
maybe but no contention. Just make sure that the port going to your router is
faster than
the other nodes or you end up with a bottleneck in the line connected to the
router.

For example if all of your hosts are running at 10Mbit speed (full duplex)
you would probably
want your router port to be running at 100Mbit full duplex.  By doing this
the usable bandwidth
is increased more than you would think because most shared (half duplex)
ethernet networks
start to break somewhere around 20-30% bandwidth utilization due to tons of
collisions.

If this doesn't make any sense it's probably because I didn't understand your
question.
The only way I know of (that you can purchase) to have multiple streams of
data running
at different frequencies (or wavelengths in this case) is to buy some WDM
fiber equipment.
But I doubt that you need to move Terabytes per second.

SG, O.S.D.