interesting idea except that 10 1Mb lines with their own wave slice
would have a "worse feel" than 1 10Mb line shared by 10 machines.
Due do random statictics theory not all machines will xmit at the
same time say 90% of the time. That means that the 1 machine
that needs to borrow the other bandwidth can do so.

Ethernet is all about statistical randomness and works because
it uses randomness to its advantage. 10Mb ethernet can take
an extreme beating of traffic and still function with very good
responsiveness because even if the line it maxed at near 100%
the back-off ethernet algorithm when a collision happens will
ensure that even the infrequent talkers get just as much of a
chance to get their packet on the network as the machines
eating up all the traffic with heavy loads.

Iv'e seen 500+ machines on a flat 10Mb segment (collision
domain) with that many college kids copying warez and porn
day and night and the performance is still extremely good.
perhaps latency of 10-15ms to talk to other nodes on the
segment under extreme loads and many hosts condending
for a space on the line. On a 10Mb line an extra 15ms in
delay may mean many transmit delays (deferred transmits)
to send the packet but to us is still very good response.

Also remember, collisons are NOT bad. They never cause
lost packets because the nic will always re-send the packet. All
it causes is a delay of sub-millisecond time. And unless your
10Mb segment is at about 85% or higher utilization a packet
which causes a collision will probably only have to be tried
once or twice more before being sucessful adding about
1-2ms if that.

Most of the time when we claim that our network is performing
bad because its over utilized its because we are dealing
with apps that were written poorly to handle different traffic
patterns. They do things like time out too soon or retransmit
too quickly or too often and get themselves all
confused. (eh hem...MS apps?) And broadcast
storms?....a thing of the past. Most currently used protocols
dont do much broadcasting anymore to the point where it could
kill a segment...although i will point a small finger at MS
and netbios again.

Cheers