Which version of SuSE are you using? I've got DHCP working with an AT&T Broadband Cable Modem and SuSE 7.0 Pro.

Are you managing with YAST1 or YAST2? If you're not using YAST1 I recommend that. Can you manually bring up the second ethernet card? On the older SuSE versions (Pre 6.3) if you opted for DHCP it only allowed you to configure the one card in YAST. On my current system I took a manual activation of the second ethernet card before YAST found it and now it restarts on bootup just fine. (Of course its been up since November so I think that's right. ;-)

FWIW what you want to do is doable.

Jack