--- nate at techie.com wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 25, 2001 at 09:19:26PM -0800, Peter Clark wrote:
> > those dotfiles, so that every time I view my home directory (`ls`
> is
> > aliased to `ls -la` of course) I don't have to view pages of rc
> files,
>
> Easy, alias ls='ls -l'.
   Not easy. I _want_ to see hidden files. I don't want anything hidden
from my eyes! It's the control freak in me. :)

> In Unix files starting with a dot are meant to be "hidden."  If
> you're
> viewing all files all the time, you're defeating the purpose of the
> convention.  It's almost like using "ATTRIB" to list files under DOS.
   Convention? Bah! Besides, I cannot recall the number of times I have
found hidden directories in tarballs that I have downloaded that are
utterly useless. So far, nothing threatening, but just things like the
hidden directory xv creates for thumbnails. Some of these directories
can get stuffed with junk, just begging for rm -rf.
   On the other hand, when compiling, some programs will create a .libs
directory. I like to strip stuff before installing (since not every
make install does that) so it helps to be able to see these hidden
directories.
   :Peter