Like Ben says, if you can get away from using Access do so but if not you
could look into something called ODBC-ODBC Bridge that will allow you to
connect from a Linux machine to an Access database on an NT
machine.  ODBC-ODBC Bridge seems to work pretty well from my testing but I
don't use it in production.

One problem I can see with the postgresql solution is that you might not
want all your sensitive information on your webserver.  I prefer not to
have any direct connection between my webserver and my database servers let
alone run them on the same machine.

The system I setup at my workplace runs a VB program (which has the
advantage of being able to pull data from many different types of databases
including Access) nightly to save data to a delimited text file, FTP it to
the Linux server and run a PHP script there which loads it into a mySQL
database.  It's surprisingly robust and it's able to pull only the data you
need from various databases and process it prior to uploading.

Brady