>I know there is a way to set up a serial-port terminal connection to
>another device (Cisco router in this case), just like Hyperterm for
>Windows. Unfortunately, I am having trouble finding instructions on how
>to do it. Can someone here point me in the right direction?
This is standard console over serial, for which minicom will not help you as
there isn't a way (at least not that I know of) to make it act like a dumb
terminal. You want to avoid all CD (carrier-detect, ie don't detect the
presence of a carrier signal.) and flow-control and jump on cisco's website to
get the RJ-45 --> DB-9 pin-outs. It should be easy, example, an 800 series
cisco router use's RJ-45 for console on pin's 2, 5, and 6, which are rx, gnd, tx which
connect to pin's 2, 3 and 5 on the DB9 (serial) connector on your PC.
In kermit, enter the following
set line /dev/ttyS0 (or whatever your using)
set baud 9600 (default for cisco, and a lot of other stuff)
set carrier-watch off
set flow-control off (not really important because there's no flow-control
	paths anyways)
connect
and you'll have a direct-serial connection, aka console over serial, provided
you have your kernel configured correctly etc.
Good luck,
--
Thomas J. Hudak
Systems Administrator