"Austad, Jay" wrote:

> I need to get myself a scanner to start scanning in all of my stupid bills
> and paperwork that always seems to float around my apartment and then
> suddenly disappear.
>
> So, I'm thinking USB since parallel port is slow.  Does anyone have a USB
> scanner working with Linux?  What's a good model to buy?  I want something
> that will scan relatively fast as I'll mostly be scanning paperwork at
> 150-300dpi.  The new Canon super thin scanners look pretty cool (1.3" thick,
> titanium colored, and around $100), but I heard they were slow.
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Jay

I love my epson 1200u.  It's usb, fast, and trivial to set up.  Supported by
sane with scanimage, xscanimage, and StarOffice as good clients.

StarOffice pukes with big scans.  xscanimage isn't bothered in the
least.

http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/

Click on devices then scanners.

Here's sanes web page.