Looks like Cannon scanners aren't supported (at lease by SANE).
See http://www.mostang.com/sane/sane-backends.html for the list of supported
scanners. If you don't allready have SCSI or firewire, USB is the way to go,
but looks like you should pass over Cannon's scanners unless you want to run
windows. I can safely say that I have yet to be impressed by a USB scanner,
but I've only played with two.

See /usr/src/linux/Documentation
CONFIG_USB_SCANNER:
Say Y here if you want to connect a USB scanner to your computer's
USB port. Please read Documentation/usb/scanner.txt and
Documentation/usb/scanner-hp-sane.txt for more information.
This code is also available as a module ( = code which can be
inserted in and removed from the running kernel whenever you want).
The module will be called scanner.o. If you want to compile it as
a module, say M here and read Documentation/modules.txt.

--
Andy Zbikowski, Sys Admin   | (WEB) http://www.ltiflex.com
LTI Flexible Products, Inc. | (PH)  763-428-9119 (EX) 132