I ran across this a while ago, it basically a PCI card with lots of SDRAM
on it that acts like disk space.

Don't know much more than the company propaganda but it's supposed to play
nice with linux.  They have various sizes, some with backup power for when
the machine is off.

Should give a speed adavantages over a disk... and not have the
overhead of a RAMdisk.

Might be worth a look.

http://www.platypus.net/

Charlie