I tested them for a very high capacity mail server to increase the speed of
the queue.  It was actually slower than using regular disk, you still have
the overhead of the filesystem, and I think it takes more CPU because of
something to with not being able to offload work to the DMA controller.

Try making one and test it with bonnie or bonnie++ (search on freshmeat.net
for them).  I had a box with 1GB of ram and I tested a 512MB ramdisk.  I
highly doubt you'll get much more performance out of it, a single SCSI disk
worked much better for me.

Jay