On Fri, 16 Mar 2001, Andy Zbikowski wrote:

> Depending on what it is you're doing, you may want to look at the Linux
> Terminal Server Project. (www.ltsp.org, lstp.sourceforge.net) Diskless thin
> client goodness...
>
> How are you thinking of using RAM disks?

See my previous post on Domino and RAM disks - at least in the Windows
platform, Domino works best if you have the OS & Domino on one spindle,
the databases on another spindle, and transactional logging for domino on
a third spindle...but because logging is reading and writing to a physical
disk (which isn't as fast as RAM) it creates a bottle next - and then if
you're in a small server environment where you have transactional logging
and db's on the same drive, it actually decreases performance because you
then have a double bottleneck. The theory on Windows is that if you have
transactional logging on ramdisk, then you save a read/write to the drive
and greatly increase performance...

What I want to find out is if ramdisk is even worth pursuing in
linux because of the way linux uses resources. We know that in general you
have better performance for the same hardware using linux than
windows...when I have the resources to test it (ie., a box big enough to
handle the multiple spindles) I want to check the muliple spindle thing
and see if it's worth pursuing that in linux as well.

Liz

--
Imagination is intelligence having fun...
e-mail:  kethry at winternet.com