"Austad, Jay" <austad at marketwatch.com> wrote:

> Anyone heard of the mail program Sylpheed?  I just grabbed it from
> http://sylpheed.good-day.net
>
> Very cool.  It's small and fast, and I haven't had it crash yet.  Much more
> usable than any other graphical mail client I've used in Linux.  Also has
> support for multiple separate accounts, and when you compose a message,
> there is a dropdown for which address you want it to come from.

I had been pointed to it by someone recently, though I apparently hadn't tried it.  A slightly older version was sitting in my downloads directory, apparently untouched other than being unpacked.

I just downloaded the newest version now, and you are right -- it's very fast and pretty well-featured.  Unfortunately, there are a bunch of little things that bother me, but that's probably just because I've used Netscape for so long.

There isn't an obvious way to change the order of the columns in the message list view (I like to see the Subjects first, for instance, but the default behavior is to have them _last_).  This composer annoys me (Using the up arrow jumps up a whole paragraph!  `End' goes to the end of a paragraph and `Home' goes to the beginning!  Aaah!), but that's just because it uses the generic Gtk+ text widget, which has those problems

Still, it's very nice for something with a sub-0.5 version number ;-)

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Amnesia used to be my
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   favorite word, but then