> agree with his solution.  Those who own businesses have the right to run
> them as they see fit.  They are the ones that will lose, the workers can
> always find another place to work.  They also took the risk, where as the
> workers took none.  So I guess that's why I sometimes have a problem with
> unions.  It's too easy for the workers to make claim that the company is
> their.

You're assuming that a) the worker is in an industry where there are a
plethora of jobs per worker (such is the case in general in the computer
industry) - and that b) the worker is in a geographical region that
supports the industry that person is in (ie., IT jobs are few and far
between in Northwest Arkansas, the corporate headquarters (and IT centers)
for WalMart and Tyson Foods - end result is that pay for someone in IT is
roughly about half of what is made here in the Twin Cities for a lesser
job...a friend of mine just discovered this when he moved up here) -- face
it, if jobs were so easy to come by in all areas, and corporations didn't
essentially eat up all available labor in small towns (ie., the best place
for a decent living wage in Muncie, IN, were one of three factories simply
because they were unionized - factory workers had great pay (you could
expect to earn up to about 14/hour for a secretarial job in a factory with
awesome benefits as compared to the 8/hour (8 was the going rate for
office manager type personnel) max anywhere else outside the unionized
factories - oh yeah, and benefits weren't all that great either - try
living on that with two kids in tow?  In IT in out of the way places, you
DON'T dare just leave to find another job 'cuz you could conceivably be
blackballed (saw that happen too - in IT) in the region...

I'm not saying unionization is perfect for all industries and all areas -
but it does have it's place in defending the worker who in a lot of places
is still given the shaft. Remember, unionization also had it's place in
our history and is the reason for a lot of the things we take for granted
today: child labor laws, minimum wage, etc...ie., Marxist theory put to
practice in American history hasn't moved us away from Capitalism, but
helped buffer the way for those people trying to take care of their
families in the fact of (let's face it) corporate greed and politics -
especially in a society where your share holders are MUCH more important
than the people who do the actual work.

Sorry - didn't mean to get on a soap box here...I've just gotten a ton of
these kind of messages today from a number of different sources....

Take care,
Liz