Benjamin Exley wrote:

> > Unions have no place in the IT/IS field.
> I would have to disagree. Unfortunatly, I've been in a position where
> I've felt it nessecary to use collective bargaining to get what we
> wanted. What was it? We wanted to be treated fairly, and not have
> to leave our jobs. This isn't to say that we couldn't get better paying
> jobs elsewhere, it's just that we like the place we work so much
> that we didn't WANT to leave. We felt the only way we could get
> people to listen to our concerns was to threaten to leave as a
> whole. It is amazing how quickly people start listening when the
> entire IS department threatens to walk off the job. They wouldn't
> have listened if only a few people made that descision. Maybe we
> didn't technically have a union, but we were a union in spirit.
>
> For another example of a white colar union, take a look at Boeing.
> In the mid-90s, many of the engineers there felt that the company
> was headed in the wrong direction, and felt that their concerns
> were not being addressed. They loved working there so much that
> they couldn't stand to see the company suffer due to the acts of a
> few people in upper management. They decided to unionize, and
> did in fact go on strike. That brought on changes very quickly, and
> the people I've talked to about it generally regard it as a positive
> experience.
>
> Unionizing is sometimes the only way to be effectively heard and
> respected. Sad but true.
>
> ok i'm done.

I think most of us who object to unions are thinking of the national
or international unions.  I think small unions are sometimes a
necessary thing. I'm lucky - I'm the only IT worker here, so I'm
a union unto myself...

The older I get, the more I think smaller is better.  Think Qwest,
Microsoft, AFL/CIO, Democrats, Republicans, etc...

Any group that can't be completely taken out with a small tactical
nuke should be abolished...