I think it all depends on how much RAM you have. If you have anywhere
between 0 (heh) and 512 Meg then 2*RAM is a nice number. If you have
anything above that then 2*RAM is overkill. Probably don't really want
to go over 600-700 Megs.

But if you have a system that is constantly swapping, I think it's time
to add more memory. Don't use swap like you would memory because it's
ssssllllllooooooowwwwww. Plus memory's so dang cheap now anyways.