I know this is a little bit of a late response, but for anyone who does
dual-boot windows and linux this might come in handy.  When windows gets to
be icky, and linux is still running just fine (funny how that happens isn't
it) and you need to reinstall windows 98 (i bet this works on ME as well)
rather than just setting up windows, from a dos prompt run "setup /ir" and
that should make it not update the MBR, and therefore you don't have to
reinstall lilo or whatever other boot manager you happen to be using.