Bill Layer wrote:

> Yes you are reading that wrong.. the interface shows up as soon as the module
> is loaded. ifconfig does *seem* to be setting the parameters for the
> interface, but it fails to bring it up.

I think we may be experiencing the same thing Bill.  My laptop will detect, and
attempt to load the driver.  On dmesg, it shows it trying as well as trying to
hit a dhcp server.  Problem is, that when doing an ifconfig all that shows up is
"lo."  Until I do "ifconfig eth0 up" and then rerun /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1 will it
initialize and hit against a dhcp server.

> I'm running Slackware 7.1, kernel 2.4.0 with a bunch of 3rd party kernel
> modules (bestcrypt, vmware). I have recently updated my modutils to 2.4.3.
>
> Here is something else interesting that I noticed, a message when I modprobe
> atp:
>
> Warning: /lib/modules/2.4.0/kernel/drivers/net/atp.o parameter io has max <
> min!
>
> 'parameter io has max < min!' ??

I've only got a couple of little things on outside of the base load.  I wonder
if what we're experiencing might be a bug?  Just a thought....

Shawn