>my thoughts on that, are that it's like Solaris... you can add all the GNU
>tools, compile all the Linux programs, and make it a really cool
>environment.

>at which point you have to ask yourself 'why bother with the other OS in the
>first place'?

>what'll be very cool (and likely to come, I think); is OSX binary
>compatibility with Linux. :) So when Photoshop is fully OSX-ized[1]; it'll be a
>small step from there to running it on LinuxPPC or {Net|Open}BSD on PPC. :)

There will still be a gap between ready for OSX and ready for UNIX in
general. However, the step from Darwin to any other UNIX is mostly a
recompile issue. Any other UNIX to Darwin is a recompile issue. OSX may have
a BSD core (Darwin), but the layers on top of Darwin that eventually give
you Aqua aren't exactly portable, or open. (Not being a Mac person (yet) and
nor really following OSX, I don't have a grasp on Cocoa, Carbon, etc.)

So why build GNU stuff on Darwin? (Darwin != OSX, OSX == Darwin + Carbon +
Cocoa + Aqua + lots of other stuff.) Because you can get all OSX has to
offer (All OSX apps + classic Mac apps), with GNU software as a side bonus.

Since Kevin didn't provide the links, the rootless Xfree on OSX info is
here:
http://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?thread_id=72936&forum_id=57136
http://www.mit.edu/~rueckert/XFreeAqua.jpg
http://www.mit.edu/~rueckert/XFreeAqua2.jpg

Still not ready for prime time though.

Tenon Intersystems is developing a nice looking set of Xtools for OSX:
http://www.tenon.com/products/xtools/
Xtools also includes the necessary libraries to support porting X
client             applications to Mac OS X.

I'm just glancing at Tenon's site right now, but it looks like they've
successfuly build gtk+, gnomelib, etc. for yse with their tools, and it
looks a heck of alot better the the XonX project (at least for now.)

If I get a Mac w/ OSX I would definitly consider getting Tenon's Xtools as
well.

--
Andy Zbikowski, Sys Admin   | (WEB) http://www.ltiflex.com
LTI Flexible Products, Inc. | (PH)  763-428-9119 (EX) 132