> With OS X, who needs linux too? OS X will run all your favorite GNU
> tools, XFree is already ported (I think they even have it running
> non-full-screen now), so you can run anything that linux can. :) Hell,
> they might even port the linux compatibility stuff from *BSD - it would
> probably be ridiculously easy.

my thoughts on that, are that it's like Solaris... you can add all the GNU
tools, compile all the Linux programs, and make it a really cool
environment.

at which point you have to ask yourself 'why bother with the other OS in the
first place'?

what'll be very cool (and likely to come, I think); is OSX binary
compatibility with Linux. :) So when Photoshop is fully OSX-ized[1]; it'll be a
small step from there to running it on LinuxPPC or {Net|Open}BSD on PPC. :)

...and the thin end of the wedge widens. :)

[1] I think I've heard the term 'carbonized' to refer to the process of
making an application ready for OSX. This makes me think of what happened to
Han Solo in _The Empire Strikes Back_... only messier. Not a pretty picture.
:)

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer