On Mon, Mar 05, 2001 at 06:17:39PM -0600, Timothy Wilson wrote:
> I think that I can get Debian installed on my new Compaq DL 380 server by
> creating a custom set of install floppies with a kernel that supports the
> NIC, SCSI controller, and RAID controller on the server. It appears that
> Potato has a package called 'boot-floppies' with a set of scripts designed
> for building a custom install.
>
> Not having a Potato system handy (mine are running Woody), I'm wondering if
> it's possible to build a set of boot floppies for Potato on a Woody system
> (my instinct is no). The solution presumably, then, would be to find an old
> computer lying around, put potato on it, and build the custom floppies from
> there.

I think that you should be able to use the potato version of
boot-floppies on a woody box.  Newer versions of libraries and
tools shouldn't hurt anything, though to be safe I'd install
the boot-floppies package on a system that wasn't usually
used for development.  That way when you pull the potato version
of boot-floppies with apt-get you will also end up pulling
potato versions of most of boot-floppies dependencies.

> Before I do any of this, however, I'd like someone to confirm for me that it
> is indeed possible to put a custom kernel (perhaps even a 2.4.x kernel) on
> these custom floppies.

I haven't switched kernels, myself though I have built boot-floppies.