"Austad, Jay" <austad at marketwatch.com> writes:

> > ???? I've been running qmail since something like version 0.73, but
> > I've always found it very easy to get in and working.  Including back
> > before the good documentation appeared.
>
> Well, compared to postfix or sendmail I meant.  With qmail, you need to
> change the way /var/spool/mail works, install djb's version of inetd for it
> (you can use regular inetd, but you need dan's to prevent spammers from
> relaying through you), add like 5 more user accounts and 1 or 2 groups for
> the qmail processes to run under, etc...

Works fine with inetd.  Relaying is off normally, no problem there.
You only need something special if you need to support selective
relaying.  And inetd is a *disaster* for performance and reliability.

7 users, but that's necessary for segmentation, which is necessary for
security.  It's not hard; took 20 seconds to add them.  2 groups, for
the same reason, even easier.  I'm sorry, but if adding some system
users is difficult....

> Qmail is definitely a good mailserver, probably the most secure and the
> fastest, but it's kind of annoying to set up.  I can't just do a "make
> install" and edit a config file, there's a little more to it.  :)

Always has been with any mailserver I tried, though.  Just like web
servers, or news servers.
--
David Dyer-Bennet      /      Welcome to the future!      /      dd-b at dd-b.net
SF: http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/          Minicon: http://www.mnstf.org/minicon/