On Thu, 1 Mar 2001, Dave Sherohman wrote:
> Read the DNS-HOWTO.  It will tell you everything you need to know to set up
> functional zone files, as well as a good bit of the theory and practice of
> how they work.
>
> As for your actual question, I would set that up as an A record rather than a
> CNAME.  (I'm not even sure that a CNAME pointing outside of the current zone
> is legal.  It doesn't seem like a good idea, though.  Too easily broken.)
>
> www IN A 111.222.333.444

Sure, you can CNAME outside of the zone. We do it all the time to point
our client's web sites at the web server.. that way, we don't break RFC by
using a single IP address and virtual hosting on it.

RFC says (somewhere, don't remember which one) forward and reverse have
to match, so having the following would be invalid:

web.real-time.com.	A	10.0.0.1
10.0.0.1		PTR	web.real-time.com.
www.domain1.com.	A	10.0.0.1
www.domain2.com.	A	10.0.0.1

you are SUPPOSED to do it the way he was talking about above:

web.real-time.com.      A       10.0.0.1
10.0.0.1                PTR     web.real-time.com.
www.domain1.com.	CNAME	web.real-time.com.
www.domain2.com		CNAME	web.real-time.com.

This also makes it a helluva lot easier if we ever switch the IP of our
web server.