On Thu, Mar 01, 2001 at 05:12:58AM -0800, Jonathan Kline wrote:
> Services like ireg offer web fowarding? How can this
> be accomplished in linux? Make a domain file in bind
> then add:
> www  IN  CNAME <real:url>
> to it?
> Thanks for the help. I'll need to know this if I stand
> a chance of switching all our servers to Linux...

Read the DNS-HOWTO.  It will tell you everything you need to know to set up
functional zone files, as well as a good bit of the theory and practice of
how they work.

As for your actual question, I would set that up as an A record rather than a
CNAME.  (I'm not even sure that a CNAME pointing outside of the current zone
is legal.  It doesn't seem like a good idea, though.  Too easily broken.)

www IN A 111.222.333.444

--
SGI products are used to create the 'Bugs' that entertain us in theatres
and at home. - SGI job posting