> There's a /bin and a /usr/bin because, historically, /bin is on your
> partition/slice/volume containing / and /usr/bin is on your
> parition/slice/volume containing /usr.  /bin conatins statically-linked
> file (files which _contain_ the libs the need to run, rather than
> "pointing" to the libs).

	at least that's the theory. it's a very nice _theory_. :)
	AFAIK, RedSmack dynamically links the stuff in /bin and /sbin. dunno
about other distros. it's kind of irksome when a luser is told (by a
so-called tech-support guy) to 'move libc.so.6 to libc.so, so that our
binary-only application (<cough>informix<cough>) doesn't barf on the lack of
that filename'. given a statically-linked shell, the user could have been
walked through 'linux init=/bin/sh' to rename the file back; but no such
luck. :( (and in case you're wondering; no, ash.static was not installed and
the user didn't have rescue media that would handle their drive controller).
	OpenBSD statically links those files, tho. (not that I've tested
this; I could be wrong).

> And the whole concept of /usr/local is appaling :)  It was historically
> called /opt (optional stuff).
	/usr/local serves its purpose at times, tho. the BSDs use it for
non-blessed software; and I think it's useful for non-packaged software.

in case anyone's curious; I once heard a brief history of /usr.
/usr was originally where the _user_ home directories were.
then NFS came along and since home directories were shared among many
machines; it made sense to put shared utilities where the shared space was;
and /usr/bin, /usr/lib, and /usr/sbin were born.
then admins started putting source code under that tree as well; and
/usr/src was born.
code that was gotten off the Internet (such as it was), or traded by other
means, and put in /usr/src, didn't seem appropriate for the 'blessed'
environments of /bin and /sbin; or even /usr/sbin and /usr/bin; so
/usr/local (as in 'local to this installation') was created.
eventually people said 'Hey, this is crowded here in /usr! let's just start
from scratch with /home, and put people's home dirs there!'

there's probably some inaccuracies in there. those who've been at this
longer than I have, will probably be quick to correct me. :)

/opt is vile and unnecessary and nothing should use it; unless the admin
really *wants* to do it that way for some reason. if one has a small /
partition, and doesn't create a mountpoint or symlink for /opt; programs
that install in /opt will fill up the free space, and cause the admin
headaches.

Carl Soderstrom
--
Network Engineer