> I think the directory structure is a little odd at first, but once you
> learn it it makes more sense (to me anyways).  The one thing that still
> bugs me though is all the variations of bin laying around.. /bin,
> /usr/bin, /sbin, /usr/sbin, /usr/local/bin.  Why is there a /bin and a
> /usr/bin?  and although I can see the logic of keeping root-only utils in
> /sbin, if you have to be root to run them anyway, why not dump it all in
> /bin?  I'm planning to start doing this on some of my boxen, dump all the
> files from /usr/bin, /sbin, /usr/sbin into /bin and then symlink the old
> bin directories, since I assume stuff is compiled to look for /usr/sbin
> and whatnot.  Any reason why I couldn't do this?

There's a /bin and a /usr/bin because, historically, /bin is on your
partition/slice/volume containing / and /usr/bin is on your
parition/slice/volume containing /usr.  /bin conatins statically-linked
file (files which _contain_ the libs the need to run, rather than
"pointing" to the libs).  If your drive/partition/slice/volume containing
/usr craps out on your or the filesystem is corrupt, or you mount it via
NFS and you're in single-user mode, then if you had all your binaries in
there, you couldn't do _anything_ on the system, not even use ed or ex to
edit your files, if need be.

/sbin is for statically linked system binaries (stuff that only root
generally runs).

/usr/sbin is for mom-mission-critical binaries that only root generally
runs.

And the whole concept of /usr/local is appaling :)  It was historically
called /opt (optional stuff).

Gabe
Gabe Turner                                             gabe at msi.umn.edu
SGI Origin Systems Administrator,
University of Minnesota Supercomputing Institute
 for Digital Simulation and Advanced Computation         www.msi.umn.edu