On Fri, Jun 29, 2001 at 09:51:45AM +0000, Rick Engebretson wrote:
> Pardon me for being dumb, but a major hurdle to learning Linux is the
> directory. The file  abbreviations are made for the text console and
> keyboard, but with a nice GUI a descriptive name system would really
> help.
>
> Also, the directory tree seems less than hierarcical.

C:\Program Files - how many places in there will I find pieces of an
MS Office install? How much of an MS Office install is not in
C:\Program Files at all?

C:\{arbitrary directory} - how many of these will be program
directories where the programmer hard-coded the relative location off
of \? How many of those don't allow you to install anywhere other than
C:?

C:\Documents & Setteing\UserID\Application Data\Temp for temp files?

Sorry, they both have problems. Some may be the fault of the original
file-system spec, some are definitely the fault of the application
programmer. *nix seems - from my limited experience - to be more
forgiving of the user / sysadmin deciding "I don't like where the
programmer put this, it belongs _there_!"

--
Scott Raun
sraun at fireopal.org