On Fri, 29 Jun 2001, Andy Zbikowski (Zibby) wrote:

> To me, that makes more sense than the Windows layout of different drive
> letters. When you sit down at a UNIX box, things are always in the same
> place, none of this on this computer D is the second hard drive and E is
> the cd-rom, over here M and N are the cd-rom and burner, C is the hard
> drive, and B is the Zip drive. On this machine C is the hard drive, D is
> the cdrom, and E is the Zip drive.

Actually, Unix is the same way, it's just that there's another layer of
abstraction.  This is the same thing that we just talked about with Jay
Kline's question.  /dev/hda is what Windows would call C.  /dev/hdb is
what Windows would call D.  On that machine, /dev/hdb might be
something different.  *If* you're messing with the /dev directory,
you get the same headache.  The only way that Unix is better is that you
aren't messing with the /dev directory!

--
"To misattribute a quote is unforgivable." --Anonymous