Actually, I think Windows is badly orginized. You just think it's good
because you're used to it. It's actually rather bad, because every windows
system is different depending on what devices are present.

My windows install:
c:\ - hard drive
d:\ - MO Drive
e:\ - First CD rom
f:\ - second cd-rom

Add a new hard drive, and you add a drive letter (Except in Windows 2000
where they actually figured out mount points, just too bad you can't have
Program Files as a mount point.)

Anyway, the *NIX way is better:

/ - root, everything starts here.
|-/bin  [*]
|-/boot [*] - kernels and such
|-/etc  [*] - configuration files
|-/lib  [*]
|-/root [*] - roots home directory
|-/sbin [*]
|-/home - User home directories. User data always goes here.
|-/mnt  - [**] Mount points, /mnt/cdrom, /mnt/zip, /mnt/floppy
|-/tmp  - [***] Temp space
|-/usr  - Programs, libs, etc gets installed here
  |-/usr/local - Software/configurations/etc specific to your site, mostly
		 things compiled from source, not installed via rpms/debs
|-/var  - Variable info, databases, package info, etc.
|-/opt  - Optional stuff, again, mostly stuff specific to your site.
|-/dev  [****]
|-/proc [****]

[*]   - These directories should always be on the same partation as they
are required to boot/maintail/restore the system
[**]  - Some system (Like Debian) like to create their mount points under
/ instead of mount. Some admins like them tucked away neatly under /mnt. A
quick peek at /etc/fstab will tell you where to look if the admin hasn't
created sym links.
[***]  - try tmpfs. It's cool. If using tmpfs, tmp space is kept in
	 memory/swap.
[****] - the dev and proc filesystems are created automatically by the
kernel and MAKEDEV scripts.

To me, that makes more sense than the Windows layout of different drive
letters. When you sit down at a UNIX box, things are always in the same
place, none of this on this computer D is the second hard drive and E is
the cd-rom, over here M and N are the cd-rom and burner, C is the hard
drive, and B is the Zip drive. On this machine C is the hard drive, D is
the cdrom, and E is the Zip drive.

Anyway, for the most part you shouldn't be to concerned with anything out
of /home except for the cdrom/burner/zip/whatever mount points.

Andrew S. Zbikowski       | Home: 763.591.0977
http://www.ringworld.org  | PCS:  612.306.6055
They must not get baseball sized hail in Redmond.
If they did MS would have realized HailStorm is a
bad name for their new services.