This is a Really Weird Configuration(tm), but I'll just see what you folks
think of it..

At work, my boss and I are trying to get Linux going on our Sun boxes.
Well, we know that the OS itself works, but the applications are
problematic.  For those who were watching previously when I asked around
for application support on Linux/Sparc, I'll say that we have had luck
with one package (out of 5) - SAS.  We haven't actually tried it yet, but
I talked to a rep there who said it would work on our systems.

Since only some software is available for Linux/Sparc, we're stuck with
Solaris, at least on one or two systems.

My boss has long had the idea that we should have two servers connected to
our A1000 array where our users' home directories are stored, so that we
can fail over from one server to the other in our NFS configuration.  Of
course, since we'd like to get at least one of these systems running
Linux, things get really interesting.

I've successfully attached two systems together, and had them both reading
the array at the same time (though, in normal operation, I'm expecting
only one system would have the array mounted at a time).

I think we can get this to work, but I'm curious about a few things:

* How similar/different are Linux and Solaris NFS servers?  Will a client
  be able to failover to a Linux server from a Solaris server without
  going nuts?

* The Linux UFS driver handles the UFS variants in slightly different
  ways.  How well can the Linux driver read/write Sun's implementation?
  Am I going to end up with a corrupted filesystem if I dare to try it?

* On my test setup, the Solaris box sees the A1000 array at SCSI ID 0, but
  the Linux systems sees it as SCSI ID 7.  Anyone have an explanation?

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Black holes really suck...