Spencer J Sinn wrote:

> <rant>
> In all fairness to Caldera (who have a foofoo-kaka dist BTW) the article
> doesn't mention them charging for the licenses. They, Caldera, may just
> be trying to gather information/statistics on how many people are using
> their software (like the linux counter project). They may have to track
> their distribution of non-GPL'ed software as well (Caldera Workstation
> ships with Borland JBuilder, Star Office etc). If they are paying for or
> getting paid for bundling software into their dist, you can be very sure
> they will want to track that software.
> Caldera is a parasite, as are most companies (Apple) that latch on to
> linux/OSS(Stormix). They bundle a trailing-edge distro, value-add some
> office-type software, dump a million in marketing dollars into it and
> say they are *helping the community*. They are business people who look
> at people as consumers, and IMHO that is what is at the heart of the
> GPL: that people are intelligent, sentient beings that make intelligent,
> informed choices and know how to share.
> Unfortunately, as the Technical Divide widens, these parasitic, DIFY
> companies are going to gain more and more ground.
> </rant>

OOOOOO0oooooh! You done it now Spenc.
What exactly do you mean?
Apple is BSD (OS X).  Thats a different beast all together.
As far as I know Apple has nothing nor ever has had anything to do with
Linux.

I agree that companies that simply get old technology and put in some sort
of Office suite are a kind of parasite.  A waiste of everyones time and a
delay in the advancement of technology.  A sore on the buttocks of
humanity.
But what does that have to do with Apple?  If you mean they took an old OS
(*nix/BSD) and simply slapped a really cool GUI over the top then I would
have to strongly disagree.  I will not state the reasons why at this point
because I am still not sure what you are talking about.

Please explain what you mean.....

sim
Sorry everyone.  I tried not to respond to this but I couldn't help myself.

I'll go now.
<lurk on>