Bob Tanner wrote:

> I totally agree with Stallman now. Caldera is a parasite.
>
> http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-06-25-006-20-PS
>
> --
> Bob Tanner <tanner at real-time.com>       | Phone : (952)943-8700
> http://www.mn-linux.org                 | Fax   : (952)943-8500
> Key fingerprint =  6C E9 51 4F D5 3E 4C 66 62 A9 10 E5 35 85 39 D9

<rant>
In all fairness to Caldera (who have a foofoo-kaka dist BTW) the article
doesn't mention them charging for the licenses. They, Caldera, may just
be trying to gather information/statistics on how many people are using
their software (like the linux counter project). They may have to track
their distribution of non-GPL'ed software as well (Caldera Workstation
ships with Borland JBuilder, Star Office etc). If they are paying for or
getting paid for bundling software into their dist, you can be very sure
they will want to track that software.
Caldera is a parasite, as are most companies (Apple) that latch on to
linux/OSS(Stormix). They bundle a trailing-edge distro, value-add some
office-type software, dump a million in marketing dollars into it and
say they are *helping the community*. They are business people who look
at people as consumers, and IMHO that is what is at the heart of the
GPL: that people are intelligent, sentient beings that make intelligent,
informed choices and know how to share.
Unfortunately, as the Technical Divide widens, these parasitic, DIFY
companies are going to gain more and more ground.
</rant>