peter.clark at tides.com wrote:

>         Well, now that I have ReiserFS all nice and working, you would
> think that would be the end of my woes, wouldn't you? Smooth sailing,
> right? Hah! Since I recompiled the kernel, pppd doesn't work. The modem
> dials up, connects, and then pppd aborts with an error code 1. I've
> tried recompiling with all the obvious stuff, even NFS, but no go.

I know I've heard of others having trouble with ppp on newer versions of
the kernel.  You did recompile pppd, didn't you?  Also, since pppd lives
really near the kernel, you probably have to point it at the proper Linux
source tree when running the configure script.  If you don't do that, I'm
guessing that it will automatically pick up the headers installed in
/usr/include or wherever (obviously, this contradicts what we usually say
about putting kernel headers in out-of-the-way places)

ftp://cs.anu.edu.au/pub/software/ppp/

Maybe getting it through CVS would be good, if the newest version from
above doesn't work:

http://www.samba.org/ppp/
http://www.samba.org/samba/cvs.html

Before I forget, pppd has been known to dump lots of log messages.  Check
your system's log files for any useful information.

--
 _  _  _  _ _  ___    _ _  _  ___ _ _  __   Hard work has a future
/ \/ \(_)| ' // ._\  / - \(_)/ ./| ' /(__   payoff. Laziness pays