Ok, first, I quickly cleared up that little glitch with the invalid
mount options. I had used those options because that is what Progeny
originally used. However, I just popped open /etc/fstab on my Mdk box and
applied the diffs; problem solved.
        Well, now that I have ReiserFS all nice and working, you would
think that would be the end of my woes, wouldn't you? Smooth sailing,
right? Hah! Since I recompiled the kernel, pppd doesn't work. The modem
dials up, connects, and then pppd aborts with an error code 1. I've tried
recompiling with all the obvious stuff, even NFS, but no go.
        I just finished readingthe Lord of the Rings series. Well, I still
haven't read The Hobbit, but I'm going to take a break, after reading three
books in one week. Can't believe I haven't read them before. My wife was
amazed that I had waited so long to read them.
        Anywho, this has a point. I'm beginning to think that my new box is
really a cousin of the Ring. It promises unlimited power, but in the end it
just corrupts the wearer/user to evil and madness. I think I'll start
calling it "Precious." We won't let any nasty kernel compile hurt you,
precious, oh no. Gollum!
        :Peter