Bill Layer wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 09:21:37 -0500
> "Spencer J Sinn" <ssinn at qwest.net> wrote:
>
> > I just became the dubious owner of 3 Apple Macintosh Performa 467's and
> > I was wondering if anyone on the list has had any luck using these. The
> > hardware is listed as supported for linuxppc, mklinux or linux-m68k but
> > I am willing to sacrifice an Apple to the linux gods. Any suggestions?
>
> Hmm... I'm not sure that the model 'Performa 467' exists, are you sure
> these are not Performa 476s?
>
> The Performa 476 is a machine based on a 25MHz 68LC040 cpu. The 68LC040 is
> an FPU-less chip, and was unsupported under earlier releases of Mac68k
> Linux & NetBSD. Recently however, they seem to have gotten the fpu
> emulation working for these models. Certain 68LC040 models however, can
> never run *nix, as there is a 'broken' version of the chip which does not
> allow for fpu emulation - if you cannot run SoftwareFPU under MacOS, the
> chip is broken and won't run *nix. Replace the chip with a full 68040, or
> a non-broken 68LC040.
>
> One nice feature that sets the Performa475, 476, LC475 and Quadra 605
> apart from all other models, is the ability to overclock these machines
> without the usual clockchip replacement. It's a simple matter of adding a
> switch and a couple of resistors, and the machine can be toggled between
> 25 & 33Mhz. This actually increases the bus speed, not just the cpu, so
> the performance gain is system-wide (including SCSI interface speed). It's
> also a plug-in upgrade to add a full 68040, which gives the machine a true
> hardware FPU.
>
> One issue that you may encounter is getting a working NIC for these
> machines. They all use the proprietary Apple LC-PDS NIC, or one of the
> aftermarket clones. Unfortunately, not all of the LC-PDS NICs are
> supported in Linux; you'll just have to try booting a kernel and see if
> the NIC is registered and assigned an interface. All of the 8390 based
> NICs work (aka NE2000), as do the genuine Apple NICs. Some NICs from Dayna
> do not work.
>
> The best Linux route for these machines is Debian Mac68k Linux, which can
> be downloaded from the Debian site. I'd suggest you join the
> debian-68k at lists.debian.org mailing list, as the system is still under
> development, and new kernels are frequently released to the list.
>
> Finally, my webserver for the past year has been an overclocked LC475,
> with a full 68040. It's rock-solid stable, and has never needed a reboot.
> Current uptime is: 8:47am  up 47 days, 11:39,  1 user,  load average:
> 0.07, 0.02, 0.00
>
> Hope this helps,
>
>                            -.bill.layer.-
>
> -.those who are talking don't know, and those who know aren't talking.-
>
>            -.frogtown.-     -.minnesota.-      -.u.s.a.-
The badge on the front of the machine says Performa 467, so I am
guessing that is what it is. Looks like the processor is a Motorola
68030. They are interesting lttle units, 8MB RAM, 128 MB SCSI HD. Spec
sheet is at
http://www.info.apple.com/info.apple.com/applespec/applespec.taf?RID=70I
appreciate all the info. I guess I will have to do some research before
I can make this a full=fledged project. :)
Hmmm The Apple/linux router project... ;)