On Wed, 20 Jun 2001 09:21:37 -0500
"Spencer J Sinn" <ssinn at qwest.net> wrote:

> I just became the dubious owner of 3 Apple Macintosh Performa 467's and
> I was wondering if anyone on the list has had any luck using these. The
> hardware is listed as supported for linuxppc, mklinux or linux-m68k but
> I am willing to sacrifice an Apple to the linux gods. Any suggestions?

Hmm... I'm not sure that the model 'Performa 467' exists, are you sure
these are not Performa 476s?

The Performa 476 is a machine based on a 25MHz 68LC040 cpu. The 68LC040 is
an FPU-less chip, and was unsupported under earlier releases of Mac68k
Linux & NetBSD. Recently however, they seem to have gotten the fpu
emulation working for these models. Certain 68LC040 models however, can
never run *nix, as there is a 'broken' version of the chip which does not
allow for fpu emulation - if you cannot run SoftwareFPU under MacOS, the
chip is broken and won't run *nix. Replace the chip with a full 68040, or
a non-broken 68LC040.

One nice feature that sets the Performa475, 476, LC475 and Quadra 605
apart from all other models, is the ability to overclock these machines
without the usual clockchip replacement. It's a simple matter of adding a
switch and a couple of resistors, and the machine can be toggled between
25 & 33Mhz. This actually increases the bus speed, not just the cpu, so
the performance gain is system-wide (including SCSI interface speed). It's
also a plug-in upgrade to add a full 68040, which gives the machine a true
hardware FPU.

One issue that you may encounter is getting a working NIC for these
machines. They all use the proprietary Apple LC-PDS NIC, or one of the
aftermarket clones. Unfortunately, not all of the LC-PDS NICs are
supported in Linux; you'll just have to try booting a kernel and see if
the NIC is registered and assigned an interface. All of the 8390 based
NICs work (aka NE2000), as do the genuine Apple NICs. Some NICs from Dayna
do not work.

The best Linux route for these machines is Debian Mac68k Linux, which can
be downloaded from the Debian site. I'd suggest you join the
debian-68k at lists.debian.org mailing list, as the system is still under
development, and new kernels are frequently released to the list.

Finally, my webserver for the past year has been an overclocked LC475,
with a full 68040. It's rock-solid stable, and has never needed a reboot.
Current uptime is: 8:47am  up 47 days, 11:39,  1 user,  load average:
0.07, 0.02, 0.00

Hope this helps,

                           -.bill.layer.-

-.those who are talking don't know, and those who know aren't talking.-

           -.frogtown.-     -.minnesota.-      -.u.s.a.-